Sunday, November 27, 2011

He is the Champion.

On a beautiful weekend in October we headed down to Cousin Danny's house in the hills of Brown County.  He has started an annual chili cook-off.  This was the 3rd year.  Danny has a thing for "annual" things and family gatherings.  I'm glad because the kids and I love to attend his shin-digs. We always have an awesome time because of all the cousins!  Josiah goes into an altered state of mind being surrounded by so many boys.  Lillian was interested in the cat most of the time.  She would totally be the toddler on the news that wandered away from the family, slept with coyotes to stay warm, and then found a 1/2 mile away.


 The kids playing pin the smile on the skeleton.
 Josiah won!  He talked about winning his dollar for days afterwards.
Danny knows the way to a kid's heart.

 Lillian taking a few swings at the piñata.

Here's the real story of the weekend...
Grant has been totally into cooking shows lately.  He says, "I know I could be a really good cook." Really?  Prove it...  Well once Grant found out it was a Chili cook off and there were prizes and pride at stake he was all in.  Literally.  Grant went to the grocery, worked on his chili, and then presented it with pride.  Grant might've had a odd slight advantage.  He had never made chili...ever.  So he was able to create what he thought a good chili would have without knowing the standard ingredients.
Well, his creation was a hit and it was delicious!  
 Accepting his Grand Champion status.
 I'm hoping next year there will be trophies and medals involved.
The Brown County Winery's red wine was very good though.
Grant being the humble guy he is needed to talk his winnings over.

grant: I wonder how much I won by
me: I heard Erin said you won by a landslide.
grant: like how many?
me: I think she said you had 12 more votes than second place.
grant: ... Maybe I should call her and find out what my total votes were.


really?


All I have to say is he needs to be starting on his chili for next year, because beginner's luck only happens once. :)

Congratulations Chili Master Grant!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post....I think Grant should become head chef at your house...just a thought. Mom :)

mary @ trusty chucks said...

That is hilarious that he wanted to call and check the votes. Easy boy!

(also, random: the word verification that I have to type to post this comment is "juglata"...it just sounds dirty.)